Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Arts Administration as Resistance

Typically, people do not consider what happens in the background in the production of art. Arts administration is at the base of any organization or personal artistic practice. Without the many functions included in arts administration, an artist would not be able to get anywhere with their art and resistance work. One must have a strong base to build off of. However, I do not really see how arts administration can be a type of resistance in and of itself. In my opinion, it is all just part of the whole, finished product.

As an artist, there are many aspects of arts administration that must be completed in order to be successful. A lot of people likely do not think of this or know how to perform these functions, so it is definitely something artists need to be educated on. One must be able to be both an artist and a businessperson at the same time, or have other people to help with the business side. Both of these aspects must be equally supported and equally focused on. An artist can produce a beautiful piece of work but if they do not know how to properly price their piece or how to market their piece, for example, the process will end after production. Artists must be able to determine who their target market is and sometimes alter their work in a way that would be more attractive to that particular group.

Arts administration can support resistance work by informing an artist of their capabilities and limits in their practice. A large part of creating art to consider is the financial feasibility of whatever one is creating. When I interviewed my artists for this trip, both mentioned how they would not accept any job unless they knew they could complete it well and make a profit at the same time. Of course, an artist can absorb the cost of production for themselves but without the funds, larger resistance projects with the intent to be widely distributed are likely impossible.


As a photographer, I have had to learn how to market myself as an artist as well as marketing the work I have created. Currently, I am selling my images through Fine ArtAmerica and using a Facebook page to get my images out there and to build a following. This process has been difficult. It has just been something I do for fun, not expecting much profit, but I have committed a great amount of time to market myself through these outlets. I must keep track of expenses involved in production of items I sell and price my work accordingly in order to be profitable. I am considering starting my own website and taking charge of the production of items as people buy them due to the high costs Fine Art America charges due to their high production costs. I have gotten feedback from a few potential customers saying the pieces are out of budget so a change may need to happen in order to make more sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment